What problem are you wishing to overcome with your dog, either a puppy or adult? Dog aggression? Dog barking? Jumping up? Pulling on the leash? Or something else?
As a dog owner myself, I’ve often struggled with dog aggression and pulling on the leash with dogs I’ve rescued. I tried several methods offered by different training programs with little success. Were other people having this much trouble, I wondered?
After much searching, finally I found a great resource to help you with a wide range of issues, including fears, phobias and separation anxiety. It’s a site that offers dog training through over 250 videos demonstrating how to resolve dog issues quickly and easily. This is a very live site with new footage being added regularly.
Here’s a Brief Overview of what’s inside the Online Dog Trainer site:
- Watch and Learn: videos are much easier to understand than pages of instructions
- Brief, effective lessons – lots of videos as he works with dogs
- Explains the progression of a Dog’s Energy – Why you need to Stay Out of the RED ZONE and how.
- Breaks down the learning process & how to make it work for you and your dog
- Isolation as a punishment for the dog. My option has been the silent treatment which was effective, but Doggie Dan has another version that works even better and in less time.
- Site is easy to navigate – simple and straight forward
- Lots of videos – Active, live training in the videos – not just someone holding a dog on a leash explaining everything. Dan’s way is much more enjoyable and entertaining. See the dogs in action both on and off leash. (Who says dog training has to be a serious business?)
- It’s crucial to learn the basics (Powerful 5 Golden Rules) before you start. Then, everything else fits into place.
- Puppy Training
- Project Moses from 8 wks to 8 mos
- Dog Problems – focuses on specific common problems people have – fears and barking to aggression and obsession.
And much more…
- Stay calm yourself. This is something I’ve always struggled with – trying not to get angry and over the top. Doggie Dan offers 10 more options when addressing unwanted behavior and the stress of training.
- Rewards – He shows how randomness can be effective
- Shouting – a common approach people take when their dogs don’t obey. Rather, Doggie Dan recommends that you gain your dog’s respect. Outwit your dog. He explains exactly how to do this.
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that he includes an active Forum within the membership area where other members pose questions and, of all things, Doggy Dan himself answers them. From my experience, this is rare with other member sites. Often, a forum moderator would answer. Some questions don’t even get answered. But Doggy Dan makes sure his members are well taken care of and is quick to post a helpful reply.
It’s clear from the answers that he takes real care to ensure that dogs and their owners are given the best experience and advice every time.
The Forum contains over 22,000 posts on over 6500 topics. Read success stories of other members. Learn from the problems they bring to the Forum: dog barking, aggression, chewing, digging, jumping up. There’s even a section on Exercise and Games.
Ready to move forward?
Are you as ready as I was when I discovered this great resource?
Go here now and enjoy some free videos.
Not quite ready? Here’s more information.
Formal Review of the Online Dog Trainer Site.
You can’t help but be impressed when you enter the Welcome area and see the wonderful relationship Doggy Dan has with numerous dogs of various breeds. Watch the dogs play happily together, see how he interacts with them in a caring way. It’s easy to see that he takes a very personal and passionate approach to dog training. He shares with you the methods he uses every day to train his own dogs. The introductory video demonstrates how effective is his approach.
When you enter, you will be greeted with some fun videos that are sure to make you smile:
- Going through the Car Wash: See how his dogs react to this new experience.
- On Vacation in the Pacific: Admire Doggie Dan’s stroll through the Island’s dogs and how he relates to them
- Everybody needs a Friend: Watch how Cane welcomes the opportunity to socialize with a group of dogs
- A unique Swimming Exercise: Training must come with some vigorous exercise to ease stress and help the dogs refocus. Besides, done this way, it’s fun for all.
Ok. Let’s Get Serious – What is the Online Dog Trainer
The Online Dog Trainer is run by Doggy Dan who currently owns four dogs: Inca, Peanut, Moses and Jack, all larger breeds. Using his sense of humor, he relates what’s happening and provides his advice and tips.
The site is filled with entertainment as well as education. Revel in watching owner Doggie Dan work with his own and clients’ dogs. See how easily he relates to them. The dogs keep their eyes on him anticipating their next instruction. See how well he and the dogs have learned to communicate, even though they speak different languages. The dogs clearly bond with and respect him.
As a child I learned the aggressive approach to dog training, using fear to get the dog to behave. But Doggy Dan has taught me that traditional methods of using aggression and rewards are not needed, but rather, a calm and gentle approach works just fine.
He teaches you how to get right to the problem itself, rather than just treating the symptoms as other trainers tend to do. As he points out, others focus too much on treats and rewards to the degree that nothing works unless you have a pocket full of cheese.
Video beats an eBook
You just can’t compare the value video has over the written word. With video, you can watch this experienced dog trainer gently explain why a dog is so stressed and then watching the dog change. It’s something that words can’t explain.
You get to see exactly how a consultation unfolds and how its successful conclusion is reached. There is no excessive editing of the videos. You get to see all the body language of both the dog and the trainer. This is something that you simply cannot pick up from reading words on a screen.
Videos of real consultations
While many other sites show command work and theory, they show very little actual footage of serious behavioral issues. The Online Dog Trainer is different. An enjoyable aspect of his site is the use of video footage of Doggy Dan’s live consultations. Many of the dogs that are filmed are clearly not easy to manage and are in serious need of help.
You get to see how Doggy Dan helps those dogs and their owners so that they can live comfortable, problem-free lives together.
Audio is a nice addition
Videos are great – when you’re in front of your computer. But with audios, you can listen to Doggy Dan’s instructions in the car or while you are teaching your dog. He has added audio at strategic places throughout the site. These audios complement the videos very well. I found it a refreshing change to listen to a 45 minute audio about becoming the pack leader, having already watched a video. The audios are optional since the core lessons are delivered in lively and clear videos. They are a valuable bonus for those people who really want to get the maximum out of the course.
Watch his puppy’s progression
You are sure to love watching Doggy Dan’s puppy grow up under his guidance and training. For a full year, he video taped his sessions with Moses from the time he was 8 weeks old. See him learn how to follow, walk on leash, socialize with other dogs and people, and a whole lot more. This is truly a fun (and educational) thing to watch.
He covers bringing the puppy home and the issues related to it, from separation anxiety to chew toys. There is a lot to learn and Dan misses nothing.
- Food Aggression;
- Leash Training;
- First Trip in Car;
- Desensitizing a puppy (to noises, strangers, etc.)
- Toilet training issues (what to do when it fails)
- Happiness Training: (being alone, left outside, encourage independence and calmness)
- See an 8 weeks old puppy relax as visitors arrive.
- Rewards and how to use them to benefit the puppy
If you have a new puppy, this series of videos will show you how to deal with puppy issues. The training is geared to each level of its development. You’ll know when your puppy is ready for which training. This is very important, as you will stress the puppy if you try teaching it things that it’s just not ‘grown up’ enough to understand. (You can’t teach a child algebra before she learns basic maths.)
Every topic covered with over 250 videos
Compared to almost all other sites on the internet The Online Dog Trainer has a significantly quantity – and quality – of content.
Considering the cost of hiring a local dog trainer, what you get inside the Online Dog Trainer site is well worth the cost. Doggie Dan has created videos dating back to 2009. Although the footage is not high definition, the quality of the advice is excellent. I don’t know about you, but I’d choose quality of advice anytime.
Dog Behavioral issues
Throughout the site, Doggy Dan encourages dog owners to treat the underlying issues and prevent further problems occurring later. To achieve this, you are guided through a section called “Become the Pack Leader” using Doggy Dan’s 5 Golden Rules.
Once this has been established you can visit any section and watch the appropriate training for your dog’s particular issue. This approach seems to be far more logical than those that feel more like trial and error. A clear explanation in the videos of why the issue exists and then why the training will solve the problem leaves you with a real understanding and sense of hope!
Here’s a list of just some of the dog problems addressed throughout the site:
- Dog Aggression
- People Aggression
- Aggression Towards Animals
- Aggression Towards Objects
- Barking On The Walk
- Barking For Attention
- Barking Around The Property
- Barking In The Car
- Barking When Left
- Barking At The Door
- Dogs Running Away
- Separation Anxiety
- Jumping Up
- Jumping on Furniture
- Pulling On The Leash
- Not Coming When Called
- Fears and Phobias
It’s worth noting that the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) New Zealand chapter gives a healthy endorsement of the Online Dog Trainer. In fact, they have linked to the site which they promote to new dog owners and people who have adopted a new puppy or dog.
I have always been suspicious of testimonials because they can be altered, edited, and created by anyone. You just never know. And without a time stamp it is impossible to know if they are new or very old testimonials. Then I learned that The Online Dog Trainer is very different. He has a unique way of adding testimonials. The site uses a third-party software that enables end users to post their comments and testimonials straight onto the site.
Only the person posting can edit them. The testimonials that you read are often only days old and are written by real people who love the site. These are real-time mini-reviews!
Ready to dive in with some free training videos?